Marshall Community Blood Center is the sole provider of blood to Marshall Hospital and blood donated stays in El Dorado County.
Here are the top 10 reasons to donate blood:
1. Every two seconds someone needs blood.
2. Blood is needed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
3. Blood cannot be stores; it is perishable.
4. There is absolutely no health risk from donating blood.
5. Your body has 10-12 pints of blood. Your body will replenish that lost pint in less than 48 hours.
6. Less than 5% of the entire U.S. population donates blood.
7. 80% of us will need blood by age 75.
8. The most common blood type is "O" but all types are needed.
9. Marshall Community Blood Center doesn't need blood. Patients at Marshall Hospital do.
10. Blood has to be available before it is needed.
Top 5 reasons for deferral of donation:
1. Received a tattoo within the past 12 months.
2. Low iron count.
3. Traveled outside of the United States.
4. Currently taking antibiotics.
5. Dental visit within the last 72 hours.