|Your Role in Preparing for Surgery
Taking these simple steps can help ensure a safe surgery and quick recovery.
Days Before Surgery
- If you smoke, quit or at least cut down before surgery. People who don't smoke heal faster than people who do.
- Stop drinking alcohol at two days before surgery.
- Avoid taking aspirin or ibuprofen five days before surgery, or as instructed by your surgeon.
- If you get a fever, cold or rash, call you doctor. Your surgery may need to be postponed.
- During your pre-op appointment, you will be told when to stop eating and drinking, including gum, mints and candy.
- Arrange for someone ot pick you up from the hospital and stay with you for at least the first 12 hours.
- Ask your doctor about taking your diabetes medications.