Marshall Medical Center Facts & History
60 Years of Quality Healthcare in El Dorado County
In the late 1950's a group of local citizens saw a great need for improved
healthcare services in El Dorado County. The citizens formed a committee
to petition the state of California for a nonprofit charter under which
a hospital could be built and operated. As a result, plans were drawn,
funds were solicited, and land was donated by Michigan California lumber
company. Check out how the community managed to raise funds in such a
short amount of time by
clicking here. Marshall Hospital opened its doors in 1959. A group of dedicated employees
worked hard to make the original 30-bed hospital a success.
Marshall Medical Center derives its name from the pioneer James Marshall,
whose 1848 gold discovery at nearby Sutter’s Mill sparked the California
Gold Rush. Marshall commemorated its 60th anniversary in 2019.