TCC Pet Visitors
Marshall’s Transitional Care Center
Animals have the ability to positively influence the mental and physical
health of a wide variety of individuals. Animal visits provide social
interaction, sensory stimulation, and reduce stress associated with hospitalization.
We recognize animal visitation as a therapeutic tool appropriate in the
hospital setting for some patient care situations. Animal visits will
be considered on a case-by-case basis, depending on the suitability of
the animal and the schedule of other animal visits.
We also welcome, on a case-by-case basis, animal visitors brought in by
guide-animal associations and others who wish to share their furry friends
with TCC patients.
If you wish to have your pet visit, the following regulations will apply:
- Because of the risk of infection or injury, we are sorry that certain animals
are not suitable for visiting TCC. Those include animals that weigh more
than 100 pounds, nonhuman primates, skunks, raccoons, reptiles, amphibians,
rodents, and poisonous animals.
- Always call ahead to schedule animal visits with the charge nurse or social
service representative to arrange a time that does not interfere with
the patients’ other activities.
- When bringing the animal into the hospital, you must use the entrance between
TCC and ICU. The animal is not allowed in other areas of the hospital,
including the patio.
- The animal visitor must be in a cage or on a leash; dogs are to remain
on a leash at all times.
- Pet owners must remain with their pets and assume all liability for the
animal while it is in the building.
- Check in at the nurse’s station before visiting patient rooms.
- Please check first and do not enter rooms of patients who have pet allergies
or who do not wish animal visitation.
- Pet owner is responsible for cleaning up the animal’s excrement.
Make sure to bring a scooper and plastic bags.
Note: These guidelines apply both to TCC patients who wish to have their
own pets visit, as well as non-patients who are interested in bringing
their pets in to visit TCC patients as a community service. Please make
sure to discuss with TCC staff prior to any visit. Pet visits are only
permitted in the Transitional Care Center and not in the main hospital.
We regret that if a TCC patient is under isolation precautions, he or
she will not be able to have pet visits until the precautions are lifted.
Marshall Medical Center for more information at