Marshall Medical Center Facts and History



In the late 1950's a group of local citizens saw a great need for improved healthcare services in El Dorado County. The citizens formed a committee to petition the state of California for a nonprofit charter under which a hospital could be built and operated. As a result, plans were drawn, funds were solicited, and land donated by Michigan California lumber company. Marshall Hospital opened its doors in 1959. A group of dedicated employees worked hard to make the original 30-bed hospital a success. 

Marshall Medical Center derives its name from the pioneer James Marshall, whose 1848 gold discovery at nearby Sutter’s Mill sparked the California Gold Rush. Marshall commemorated its 50th anniversary in 2009. Check out the full 50th anniversary timeline for highlights from our first 50 years.