El Dorado County Blood Donation
Every Donation Makes a Difference
BloodSource serves as the sole provider of blood to Marshall Hospital and
blood donated stays in El Dorado County. To learn more about BloodSource's
services, please go to their
Donate Blood page.
To schedule an appointment or find a
Donor Center, call 866-822-5663
Here are the top 10 reasons to donate blood:
- Every two seconds someone needs blood.
- Blood is needed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Blood cannot be stored; it is perishable.
- There is absolutely no health risk from donating blood.
- Your body has 10-12 pints of blood. Your body will replenish that lost
pint in less than 48 hours.
- Less than 5 percent of the entire U.S. population donates blood.
- Eighty percent of us will need blood by age 75.
- The most common blood type is "O" but all types are needed.
- Marshall Community Blood Center doesn't need blood. Patients at Marshall
- Blood has to be available before it is needed.
Top 5 reasons for deferral of donation:
- Low iron count.
- Traveled outside of the United States.
- Currently taking antibiotics.
- Dental visit within the last 72 hours.
- Pregnant or given birth in the last six weeks.