Anesthesia & Surgery Team
Surgery in El Dorado County
Your surgeon leads the operating room team. Other surgical team members
typically include nurses, an anesthesiologist and a surgical assistant.
As a team, they provide a sterile and safe surgical environment.
- An intravenous (IV) line will be started in an arm or hand vein. This will
provide medications and fluids during surgery
- A cuff will be placed on your arm to monitor your blood pressure
- Pads placed on your chest will monitor your heart function
- A clip on your finger will measure oxygen in your blood
- If you feel cold, we'll be happy to provide warm blankets
Anesthesia is medication that keeps you comfortable and safe during surgery.
It is given by a highly trained medical specialist, either an anesthesiologist
or a nurse anesthetist. You will meet with him or her before surgery to
discuss what type of anesthesia is most appropriate.
There are three main types of anesthesia that are used depending on you
and your procedure. The most suitable type will be used.
General Anesthesia: With general anesthesia you are totally asleep and aware of nothing.
Regional or Local Anesthesia: Regional or local anesthesia numbs certain areas of the body so that
you do not feel pain. You might also receive additional medications to
help you relax.
Monitored Sedation: With monitored sedation, you are kept very relaxed and comfortable. You
may remain awake and aware throughout surgery, but without any pain, or
you might fall asleep.